Thursday, March 5, 2009

And the challenge remains...

Engage the world. That’s what God has told me (and you, actually).

I’ve always been interested in helping people come to know Jesus MORE. I like to help them go deep. I bought onto the vision of presenting the gospel to every man, woman, and child a long time ago- but I thought it was someone else’s job. And God’s been working in my heart to change that. In the Emergency Room the other night I was alone with one of my doctors. He asked me what I did… trying to make me feel less uncomfortable, I’m sure. It was fun to be able to have a conversation with someone that didn’t already know I worked at a church and didn’t try to say the ‘right thing’.

I left that night after a 20 minute conversation realizing how much I missed that. In college I was surrounded by people that needed Jesus. Now I work with strong Christians. I live with them. I hang out with them. And it’s great…. I wouldn’t trade an ounce of that for anything!! But how can I call the people I lead to reach every man, woman, and child- when I’m not even trying?

I’m reading through the book of Hosea and as he describes wayward Israel and God’s judgment on them, I can’t help but think about every man, woman, and child in Southwest Florida that need to hear about Jesus. So I’ve asked God what I’m to do in order to have opportunities to engage people…

Should I get a part time job?
Should I find a new hobby?
Should I volunteer somewhere?
Should I look for a (non-ministry) career?

It scared me to even ask the last question. Even though I believe God has called me into full time ministry and I would never want to leave Summit- I don’t want to look back 5 or 10 years from now and realize that God didn’t want me in a ministry position yet but I was too afraid to step out of my comfort zone and look to the right and left to see what God had for me, so I stayed. And so I have to ask, God what do you want?

…Because I’m committed to that. So I’m looking right and I’m looking left.

So far God has told me… look into things. Write them all down and know I’m in control.

So over the next month I’ll be listening to God. I’m going to take an intentional “sabbatical weekend” (at my parent’s beach house, yay!) at the beginning of April where I can spend a ton of time alone with God. I’m excited. I know God is doing something big in my heart and in my life. So, pray for me to listen to the only ONE that can truly direct my steps.

God, I pray that you would delight in my ways and make my steps firm. Psalm 37:23

(also, don't edit these.... sorry!)

1 comment:

Jamin said...

we're praying for you.