Friday, February 6, 2009

Its the small things in life

…..
That teach me so much
.…..
I lost my bible a little over a month ago. Not just any bible though. It was my bible. Of course I have about four others. But this one was the place that for the past few years I really got to experience God in His word. It has all my notes and all the lessons I’ve learned.

Throughout the month I looked everywhere I could think of: the church, my office, lost and found, my room, my trunk (…it’s like a black hole), and everywhere else you can think of. No luck. It was gone.

After I looked in my trunk the second time it finally hit me that I had really lost my bible. I had lost all the fun notes of what God had shown me. As weird as it sounds, it was devastating. I had looked everywhere (some places twice) and it was gone. There was nothing else I could do; and that is the feeling that I hate the most. That gross feeling of no control. Yuck.

And so instead of coming to grips with the fact that my bible was gone forever I decided to do something that at the time seemed childish and a bit silly. Every day I started asking God to give me my bible back. I felt silly because here I was asking God to find something that I believed couldn’t be found. I had looked everywhere. And of course I felt a little silly because to everyone else in the world this is the smallest problem ever. I went as far as to ask one of my bosses to pray that God would help me find my bible. He immediately said a funny but rather serious prayer.

That was Tuesday.

On Thursday I got a text from a friend saying “Katie I have your bible.” An hour later my bible was in my hands. I’ve never been so excited to see a bunch of papers bound and wrapped in leather. I immediately flipped through the notes and special papers I had stuffed in my favorite books. I carried it with me all day, telling everyone the great news.

It’s a silly story but I learned some stuff:

Every day I should be just as excited to see God’s word. I should crave it. I should seek it out and be devastated when I can’t have it. I should devour it to the point that, without physically holding it, I am constantly carrying the Truth with me at all times.

God is funny to take such a small thing and teach me so much. He tells us numerous times throughout the gospels to ASK. I forget to ask most times because I’m too busy trying to do it myself. God didn’t let me find my bible on my own. He waited until I depended on Him. There are so many areas of my life that I try to do on my own instead of just asking God for his help.

All God is saying is, ’Ask me.’